Thursday, October 4, 2012

Day Eleven: Slow

     Unfortunately, I do not have Internet access at home. This means that a) I can't access the list of words I'm learning, and b) I can't update the blog to record any of that. So this is me recording that. Long gaps of absence = no Internet access. Or plain laziness, but blaming it on the Internet is much easier. Needless to say, I've picked up three more words. Näkemiin, Ymmärrän, and En ymmärrä.

     Näkemiin, in English, translates to 'Goodbye'
     Ymmärrän, in English, translates into 'I understand'
     En ymmärrä, in English translates into 'I do not understand'

     As far as I've learned, the first word is pronounced: knock-a-mean, the second: Ew-mar (as in Mars, without the 's')- ran. The 'r' rolls a little. And then the third one: N Ew-mar-a. The 'N' quite literally meaning to say it like the letter sounds.

     Now here's the thing. I decided to not only learn Finnish, but get school credit for it as well. How will I do this? Well, I go to an alternative/non-traditional school and in order to graduate from said school, one must present both a Junior and a Senior project. I don't know much about the Senior project, but the Junior project has some requirements of something like, 'must take at least 200 hours, be 30-45 minutes long, and cost at least $200'. But, that also sounds more like it would be for the senior project. Maybe the Junior was 100/30-45/$100.
     The other requirement is that each student preparing for said project must have a community expert. Meaning that there be someone somewhere helping a student learn what their project is on. For example, my friend is learning to crochet. My mom can crochet. My mom is her C.E., and occasionally they e-mail back and forth on patterns and needles and such. That's it. Not a big job.
     The problem with this is that NO ONE I KNOW SPEAKS FINNISH. I have until next trimester to find someone to C.E me because that's when the whole process of this project really begins. It's scary.

     On a happier note though, due to my inability to reach Internet, I've been working on the three words in this blog for a few days now and might move on a bit. If I do, the words will be: Mitä kuuluu, Hauska Tavata, and Puhutko englantia.

     Mitä kuuluu, in English, translates to: How are you?
     Hauska Tavata, in English, translates to: Pleased to meet you.
     Puhutko englantia, in English, translates to: Do you speak English?

     It's exciting to have phrases to work on! Maybe now I'll get to really use them on someone. That should be confusing for them. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment