Friday, October 5, 2012

Day Twelve: Boo Bear ~ ALPHABET.

     I'm currently in my last hour class of the day: Math Enrichment. I've been sitting here for approximately ten minutes trying to figure out a title for this and could think of nothing. Then out of the blue, my friend held up a white board that read: I miss my boo bear! And thus, the title was created.

     Boo Bear. It's an extremely cheesy nickname for a boyfriend but, what to do. Anyways, it got me to thinking, "What kind of cheesy nicknames are there in Finland?" But instead of Googling 'cheesy Finnish nicknames' I googled 'Finland' and got this:

     A lovely map of the country. And then I thought, "What about America?" So I Googled America and got this:

     A glaring eagle with a billowing flag behind it. 

    Anyways, on to Finnish. I've written up a page of the three new phrases: Mitä kuuluu, Hauska tavata, and Puhutko englantia.

     Mitä Kuuluu is pronounced: Me-tah coo-loo
     Hauska Tavata is pronounced: House-kah tah-vah-ta
     Puhutko Englantia is pronounced: Puh-hoot-co Ah-ng-lon-tea-ah

     I've gotten pretty familiar with these three phrases so, on a whim I decided to add three more.
  
     Mikä sinun nimesi on? In English this translates into: What is your name?
     Kuinka vanha sinä olet? In English translates into: How old are you?
     Mitä kello on? In English translates into: What time is it?

     I'm not yet sure how to pronounce these words though so I'll have to add that in the next post. I did however, google up a chart of the Finnish alphabet and pronunciation as seen below. The website I found it on was: http://www.omniglot.com/writing/finnish.htm

This is the alphabet with vowels consonants and diphthongs:
    
Finnish alphabet

Finnish pronunciation

And this was added at the bottom:

Notes

  • The letters in blue are only used in names and foreign loanwords
  • The letter G appears in native Finnish words in combination with N as ng [ŋ]
  • Before unvoiced consonants, b = [p], d = [t], f = [f], g = [k] and h = [x]
  • c = [k] when it appears before a, o and u, and [s] when in front of e, i, y, ä and ö
  • Stress always falls on the first syllable of words.
  • Vowels and consonants can be short (written with one letter), or long (written with two letters).
  • Finnish has a system of vowel harmony. There are three types of vowels: front vowels (ä, ö, y), back vowels (a, o, u) and neutral vowels (e, i). Front and back vowels cannot co-exist in the same word. Neutral vowels can be used with either of the two other types. For more details, see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vowel_harmony#Finnish
     I added 'ALPHABET' to the title just in case it is needed later on in the blogging process. School is out, see you later.
:)

    No comments:

    Post a Comment