Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Day Three: More Words

     So, I've been working at memorizing a few words at a time now and am bumping along quite nicely. Kiitos, Anteeksi, and Ole hyvä turned out to be both easy and fun to write. Maybe it's just me, but the double dots above letters look pretty cool.
     Anyways, while I was in school yesterday I was writing the words over and over and over again in order to remember them. (It's a tactic that I learned works for me a long time ago.) My friend Jenny was sitting next to me and when she saw that I had filled up an entire page of these three words, well, let's just say that her face = priceless.
     In fact, it kinda looked like this:
     Except a 16 year old female.

     Anyways, after a page of three words, I decided that I had become smart enough to take on three more words. Yes, you heard me right. I was being a daredevil. The words causing such an outlandish behavior were: hyvää huomenta, hyvää iltaa, and hyvää yötä. Translating into the English words of: Good morning, good evening, and good night. I know. It's risky. Heaven forbid I formally greet someone.
    
     The first word is pronounced: who-vah who-a-menta. Now, unlike hyvä where it's said in a more curt style, I've learned that the second ä makes the end of hyvää drag out a bit. Like saying Who-vaaah.
     The second word, hyvää iltaa, is pronounced like so: who-vaaah eel-ta.
     And lastly the third one, hyvää yötä, is pronounced like this: who-vaaah, ew-oh-ta. Or something like that. I'm still trying to figure out how the 'y' in finish sounds with other letters.

     So, in an attempt to not only broaden my Finnish vocabulary, but also shock Jenny a little more, I decided to write out those three words too. Unfortunately, this was bad because my hand had not yet recovered from the last page that I'd written and by the end of page two, was half dead.

     My notebook went from this:

      To this:


And this is only the beginning.

  


No comments:

Post a Comment