Monday, September 24, 2012

Day One: SGST

     So I've decided to learn Finnish. Now, I know that Finnish isn't exactly the most used language ever *sarcasm* but I am determined to learn it. When I proposed this question to my mom she asked one question that I can only assume most mothers would ask: Why? The answer to the question is simple. Because, I reallyreallyreally like the language. It looks cool, it sounds cool, and it belongs to a pretty cool country. So really it was a no brainer that I'd wanna learn it.

     Anyhow, the title to this post is as follows 'Day One: SGST' What does that mean? Well, thanks for asking. It stands for 'Second Grade Spelling Test' The reason for this is because I am treating learning a new language the same way I treated learning English. One words at a time, written ten times each, and said any chance possible. Much like a-dun dun da DAA-a second grade spelling test. Furthermore, I have begun writing only three words so far.

     To really get into the point of this blog though (as I believe any blog should have), I am writing this out so that I can record and track my progress throughout learning. I want to record sources or things that I use. You know, in case someone actually reads this and thinks 'Hey! I've always wanted to learn a Nordic language that will ultimately have absolutely no benefit towards my future what-so-ever!' To which I say to them, nice enthusiasm, and if all else fails, move to Finland.



     In my opinion, the people in this Googled image of Finnish People, look pretty happy so moving to Finland may be a good idea.

Some words I'm working on:

1. Kiitos
2. Ole hyvä
3. Anteeksi

     The first word is pronounced 'Key-toes' and translates into the English Thank You.

     The second word is pronounced 'Olay Who-va' and translates into the English You're Welcome.

     The third word is pronounced 'On-take-see' and translates into the English Excuse Me.

    
     So far, this is where I'm at in the whole 'learning a foreign language' thing. Three words.

     Glad I'm such an optimist.

No comments:

Post a Comment